Home   Electrical Contractor   Free Electrical Contractor Business Plan   3.3 Competitve Landscape

3.3 Competitve Landscape

The total housing inventory of residential & commercial property is about 620k homes in the target market of Cuyahoga County, Ohio. This includes single family homes, 2 unit, 3 unit and 4 unit properties and also properties that have more than 5 units that typically constitute the commercial end of the property spectrum. Thus abut three quarters or a little more than 75% of the entire housing stock of Cuyahoga Count is in 1 to 4 unit units and the remaining almost 25% of the stock is in commercial units.

There are roughly 200 electrical contractors in Cuyahoga County, Ohio where Lights On Electrical is located. Almost 74% of these electrical contractor establishments have less than 9 employee and 54% of them between 1 to 4 employees. Thus this indicates that there is clearly a healthy amount of competition in the electrical contracting business in the target market. The nature of the contracting business is that it tends to be either feast of famine and that means when business is good, there often is too much business and smaller contractors are not able to handle all the work and likewise when business slows down, the pinch if felt by all - the electrical contracting business is very sensitive to the larger business cycle.

When we divide up the 620k units of homes by 200 electrical contractors we come with a number of a little over 3 units per electrical contracting establishment. What this means for Andy and Jose is that they will most certainly be engaging in sub-contracting relationships with larger electrical contractors to be able to take on the extra work that comes their way. The fact that the firm is bonded and both Andy and Jose have master electrician licenses will make it much easier for them to be able to continuefinding a steady steam of work.

Quick Links:

  1. Go to the Corresponding Questionnaire section for this industry.

Small Business Owner Resource Center


Articles on the Small Business Financing Sources, the Small Business Loan Basics, small business loans Checklist and SBA Loans are incredible sources of knowledge for the small business owner.



Credit Report and Credit Score Analysis, how to Read a Personal Credit Report and all about Business Credit cover the intricacies of credit and are required reading for everybody.



The Foundation Grant Directory is a free listing of sources for grants by state. Why not look if there is some free money out there for your business. Hey - you never know!



The Business Loan Application covers every item you will need in your loan package and tells you how to get approved for business loans.



Fire your loan broker and use our Free Business Loans Bank / Lender Directory to find every bank in the country lending to small businesses.



If you are looking to start a business - look no further.  Check out the Free Incorporation Guide discussion and the State Incorporation Resource Directory.

Rate this page
Your feedback is important to us | Please rate this page
1 2 3 4 5